- Remove all constrictive clothing, shoes, or jewelry around the bite area.
- If possible, wash the wound with soap and water.
- Keep victim calm. Do not give sedative or alcohol.
- Follow general first aid, except DO NOT apply an ice pack or cold pack to the wound.
- Keep the bite at the level of the heart.
- DO NOT waste time trying to capture or kill the snake.
- DO NOT cut into the wound - this will spread the venom and cause infection.
- DO NOT suck on the wound with your mouth - this will cause infection and little venom will actually be removed.
- DO NOT apply a tourniquet or constricting band - this cuts off the blood supply to the wound.
Proceed immediately to the hospital for
evaluation and treatment of poisonous snake bite.
An antivenin is available, but is reserved for patients with life threatening symptoms.